Good Shoes Take You Good Places
"Shoes are the finishing touch on any outfit and it is important to complete a look with the perfect pair" ~ Tracy Reese
Shoes are a very important part of our lives. We sometimes take it for granted just how far we have come with them. Buying the right shoes is critical for the good health of your feet. Shoes must not only fit properly but must also provide adequate support. Your requirements from your shoes may vary with age, fashion trends and seasons. However, regardless of the requirement, it is imperative to find the perfect fit to ensure comfort and support.
Here are a few tips on how to find the perfect pair:
- Shop for your shoes during the afternoon – your feet naturally expand with use during the day causing some swelling. Hence, buying shoes in the afternoon ensure you'll be buying a pair that fits correctly to wear at any time of the day.
- Stand in the shoes – press gently on the top of the shoe to make sure you have about a half-inch of space between your longest toe and the end of the shoe. This provides enough room for your foot to press forward as you walk. Wiggle your toes to make sure there’s enough room. Not all shoes need to be 'broken-in' or stretch with time. Find shoes that fit from the start.
- Trust your own comfort level rather than a shoe size or description – sizes vary between manufacturers. Regardless of how comfortable an advertisement claims those shoes are, you are the real judge. Get a realistic feel of the shoe by walking around for about 5 minutes and test it's flexibility especially if buying running or sports footwear
- Examine the soles – are the shoes sturdy enough to provide protection from sharp objects? Do they provide cushioning and support? Take note of how you feel as you walk around the store with them. Test the shoes by walking on a hard surface as well as on a carpet to see how the shoe feels on both.
- Socks - when trying on a pair, always try them on with the socks you intend to wear with them. For example in colder seasons you may wear thicker socks, hence this would affect the size of shoes you'll need. Likewise, if you are buying heels, you may want to try them on without socks as heels are usually worn without socks. If you try them on with socks, this may also affect the sizing and you'll end up buying the incorrect size.
Now that you've bought your perfect pair, love them! Remember to take care of your shoes to ensure they keep your feet healthy and remain comfortable. Waterproof and clean your shoes regularly as advised by the store to ensure they remain in good quality, flexible and soft. Storage is extremely critical too. Shoes should be stored in a way that they don't become deformed or bent and lose shape. This ensures your shoes will remain perfectly comfortable not to mention look new for a longer time.
Buy new shoes and be happy! "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a fabulous pair of shoes."